Between Vienna and Paris.

Script from Before Sunset that I like

"we all see the world through our own tiny keyhole, right?"
"he says that we are the sum of all the moments of our lives, and that, uh, anybody who sits down to write is gonna use the clay of their own life, that you can't avoid that. So when I look at my own life, you know, I have to admit, right...that I've... I've never been around a bunch of, a bunch of guns, or violence. You know, not really. No political intrigue or, uh, helicopter crash, right? But my life, from my own point of view, has been full of drama, right? And, uh, so I thought that if I could write a book that...that could capture what it's like to really meet somebody. I mean one of the most exciting things that's ever happened to me is to really meet somebody, make that connection, and if I could...make that valuable, you know, to capture that, that would be the attempt."
"You know, happiness is in the doing, right, not in the... getting what you want"
"He's there in both moments simultaneously. And just like for an instance , all his life is just folding in on itself and it's obvious to him that time is a lie... uh...that's it's all happening all the time and inside every moment is another moment, all...You know, happening simultaneously."
"it sounded vaguely familiar"
"Céline: Yes, you remember that?
Jesse: Yeah, I remember everything."
"Céline: No, everyone wants to believe in love. It sells, right?
Jesse: Yeah, exactly...so..."
"I don't know, just...being part of someone else's memory. Seeing myself through your eyes."
"Céline: I always assumed you had forgotten me.
Jesse: No, I had a pretty clear picture of you in my mind"
"You know, everything is irrevocably screwed up"
"Jesse: You know, I mean I think the world might be getting better because people like you are educated into speaking out. Even the very notion of conservation, environmental issues, those weren't even in the vocabulary until fairly recently, you know, and now they're becoming a norm, and eventually might be what's expected all over the world.
Céline: I agree with what you're saying, but at the same time, it's dangerous. An imperialist country can use that kind of thinking to justify their economic greed. You know, human rights..."
"Right, I mean...me, for example. Am I getting worse? Am I improving? I don't know. When I was younger, I was healthier, but I was, uh, racked with insecurity, you know? Now I'm older, my problems are deeper, but I'm more equipped to handle them"
"So, all I've been doing was...walk around, think, and write. My brain felt like it was at rest, free from the consuming frenzy. And I have to say, it was almost like a natural high. I felt so peaceful inside, no...strange urge to be somewhere else, to shop...Maybe it could have seemed like boredom at first, but it quickly became very, very soulful. It's interesting, you know?"
"Céline: Yeah, but I feel really alive when I want something more than just basic survival needs. I mean, wanting whether it's intimacy with another person, or a new pair of shoes, is kind of beautiful. I like that we have those ever-renewing desires.
Jesse: Well, maybe it's just a sense of entitlement. You know, like whenever you feel like you deserve that new pair of shoes, you know. It's OK to want things as long as you don't get pissed off if you don't get 'em. Right? Life's hard. It's supposed to be. If we didn't suffer, we wouldn't learn a thing, you know?"
"All the warmth was gone"
"Memory is a wonderful thing, if you don't have to, uh, deal with the past."
"Yeah, I don't think anybody does; people don't want to admit it, but it's like we just...we have these innate set points."
"As soon as people got used to their new situation, they were more or less the same."
"So, you’ll now be forever depressed, no matter what great things happen in my life?"
"There's a…an Einstein quote I really, really like. He said, um: "If you don't believe in any kind of magic, or mystery, you’re basically as good as dead.""
"Yeah, I like that. I've always felt there was some kind of mystical core to the universe. You know that…More recently, I started to think that...that me...you know, my personality, whatever, that...I don't have any permanent place here. You know, in eternity, or whatever, you know. And the more I think that, I can't go through life saying that this is no big deal, you know. I mean, this is it! This is actually happening. What do you... think is interesting, what do you think is funny, what do you think is important? You know, every day is our last."
"You know, I think that book that I wrote, in a way, was like building something. So that I wouldn't forget the details of the time that we spent together. You know like, just as a reminder that...that once we really did meet, you know, that this was real. This happened."
"I’m happy you’re saying that because...I mean, I always feel like a freak because I'm never able to move on like this! You know? People just have an affair or even...entire relationships...they break up and they forget! They move on like they would have changed brand of cereals! I feel I was never able to forget anyone I've been with. Because each person have...their own specific qualities. You can never replace anyone. What is lost is lost. Each relationship when it ends really damages me; I never fully recover. That's why I'm very careful with getting involved because...it hurts too much!"
"I think I...I wrote it in a way to try to find you."
"I guess when you're young...you just believe there'll be many people with whom you'll connect with. Later in life you realize it only happens a few times."
"Céline: Well, the past is the past. It was meant to be that way.
Jesse: What, you really believe that? That everything is fated?
Céline: Well, you know, the world might be less free than we think.
Jesse: Yeah?
Céline: Yeah, when given this exact circumstances, that's what will happen every time. Two part hydrogen, one part oxygen, you'll get water every time."
"I don't need a man to feed me but I still need a man to love me and that I could love, you know. "
"It reminded me how genuinely romantic I was, how I had so much hope in things, and now it's like...I don't believe in anything that relates to love. "
"Reality and love are almost contradictory for me"
"The concept is absurd; the idea that we can only be complete with another person is...EVIL!! RIGHT??!!"
"You know, I guess I've been heartbroken too many times. And then I recovered. So now, you know, from the starts I make no effort…because I know it’s not going to work out, I know it’s not going to work out."
"You can't do that. You can't do that, you can't live your life trying to avoid pain"
"I'm so miserable in my love life, in my relationship, I always act as... like...you know, I'm detached, but I'm... I'm dying inside. I'm dying because I'm so numb. I don't feel pain, or excitement. I'm not even bitter,"