His Gem

His voice vibrated the whole room. His rough, deep, velvety voice, but it travelled smoothly through the air. He had the most mesmerizing voice I ever heard of, he didn't have the soothing tone like those people on the radio had, but his tone was much better than that.
"I'd like to remind you all that today is the last day to submit your assignments by e-mail, but friday is the last day if you want to submit it by hardcopies. Yes, my dear students, I accept both, written and typed."he explained, when he spoke that, his eyes darting back and forth from one side of the class to the other.
"Miss Peter." he snapped, of all the names in this class, he picked mine.
"Yes, sir?" I replied.
"Stop daydreaming and meet me after class!" he demanded.
"Yes, sir." I said.

The whole lecture that day was long forgotten the minute he demanded to meet me and I was clearly nervous about what he was about to say. At the end of the lesson, I waited until the last fellow student went outside the room and walked up to him. He was sitting and clearing his desk for unnecessary things, I stayed silent until he finished.

"Ruby..." he said my name softly.
"Yes, sir?"
"Cut the 'sir' bullshit." he whispered.
"What is it, Mark?" I asked.
He finally looked up at me, his hands were clasped in front of his face and his face looked defeated. "What's up with you today?"
I gave him a smile, a shy smile. "Nothing, Mark, just a bit distracted today."
"I know... I noticed. Your sister asked me to look after you in here, but I can't do it if you don't open up to me." he sighed.
"I'm sorry," I apologized.
He motioned me to sit next to him. "Share with me. Please?"
My eyes looked at everywhere but him, I was afraid he would judge me. "I... guess... um... I want to... well... I'm in love."
I could feel his eyes bore into me, his body went rigid. "Who?" he asked.
I looked at him questioningly, "Why are you asking?"
"I just want to know..." he said, his tone went softer.
"Why? Why do you want to know?" I asked.
"Just cause..." he answered.
"Because you want to be another protective sibling, is that it?" I asked. I was angry. I couldn't believe my sister's childhood friend would be as protective as a real brother, who was he? If I wanted to date someone, I shouldn't ask him for permission, right? How dare he?
"No, of course not!"
"Then why is it?"
"Just because!"
"Because my dear lovely sister, the one you've been in love with since God knows when, asked you?" I yelled. I shouldn't be yelling at my own teacher, but he had crossed the line.
"No!" he yelled back.
"Then why? You want to be my over-protective future brother-in-law, isn't it?" I yelled again. "Because you want to gain trust from my sister, huh? I don't want to answer any of your questions anymore unless it has something to do with your lecture. Good day, sir."

Before I could stand, his hand gripped my wrist. "Just tell me who the fuck he is!" he demanded.
I gaped at him and pulled my wrist back to my side. "That, sir, is none of your concern."
"It is, goddamn it." he screamed.
"Why?" I hissed.
"I can't tell you!"
"Then neither can I." I replied coldly.
He sighed. "Answer for an answer?"
A few moments went by as I considered his offer. "Yes. We'll go together."
He nodded and we counted together.

"Because I love you." "That guy is you."