English Class and Fairy Tales

on friday, I had english class and my lovely teacher, that left abruptly at year 11 to teach at the regular classes (I'm in international class), started to talk about genres, not genres in music (because that would be in different class), but genres in writing. there are many type of genres and sub-genres. she was asking us to suggest some of the genres that we know or maybe had come across when one of my friends suggested fairy tales. I startled by the words and she told us its not a genre nor a sub-genre, but is a sub-sub genre. its not the sub part that surprised me, but the words that my friend suggested. fairy tales.


what do I know about fairy tales? rubbish. full of false hopes and too-high expectations. stories and tales for kids, not for grown-ups. I don't consider myself as a grown up but at least I'm not a child, I don't believe in fairy tales and their friends, never had. I wasn't really into barbies or fairy stories when I was a kid, I was more realistic, like stuffed animals and a pen with drawing book. I was more of a painter rather than ballerina, I've been different since I was a kid and I'm proud. there was this trip, when I went abroad with my cousin, she bought polly pockets and stuff, I bought harry potter. she was wearing cute tops with lace and such, I was wearing boots. I liked harry potter more than polly pocket and barbie. I know harry potter is considered as fairy tales, but it was more of literature rather than children book. the point is: I don't believe in fairy tales. they are too good to be true. they are... weak. and I wasn't into princesses either. I was more into... stuffed animals and I made my own world by drawing things. the only disney story that I liked when I was a kid were only Hercules and Lion King. the other ones, like Snow White or Cinderella, were considered as rubbish to me. I don't believe in waiting for your prince to come. I'm more of a realistic but I tend to write my own stories. I tend to write my own fairy tales based on true events. based on true stories. based on life. the point is: I don't do fairy tales.

and come to think about it, I hated barbies. the only barbie that I liked is the one that had kits that could change the barbie's clothes' colour and I played with the clothes, not with the barbie. also, when I went into the kids department, I immediately went to the art section (the DYIs one) or the science one, while my cousins went to the "girlie" one. well... I was an odd ball back then and I still am right now. I have different perspective in life and how to handle things. its like if you see the sea from the shore, I see the sea by scuba diving. also statistically speaking, my music taste is weird, not as in weird weird, but just never-heard-of-them weird, most of my friends and my family told me that. but somehow, I'm proud to be different.

if the photo is yours, then comment on the post.

Comments