Pieces Of Me, Belong To You

Riley rolled down her window with one hand while driving the car with the other. The scenery around her was just beautiful. Endless rows of trees and beyond was mountains, fog was spreading in the area like a malignant disease and the sky darkened, the petrichor could be smell distinctively. The path she was taking was paved and led her to him. She was driving to meet him. Yes, Riley was driving to meet Hunter. Her friend, her boyfriend, her lover, her best friend... she could call him by other names, but none as deep as her a piece of her.

She reminisced about the past she had with him. They started out as friends, as simple as a start in relationship can be. They fought with each other, a lot, about topics that didn't worth to fight with, but they did and at the end of the day they forgave each other, knowing that the fights valued less than their relationship, whatever relationship they currently had. They were not exactly the same match, her being the all-star basketball athlete in her school and him being the mood-ruiner in his, but somehow, with all of those differences, they found each other and completed each other, perfectly. They filled the gaps of the other by just simply being there, they filled each others' loneliness and body-numbing ache near their hearts.

Of course, fate twisted the reality and shoved them apart, as apart as two people could be when they were away from each other as far as three hours drive. They knew there was no such thing as happy endings, that was why they accepted the idea of being too far from each other and they tried to be easy to be contacted as possible. Of course, it failed. With so many tutors, classes, homeworks and projects they both had, it was hard to communicate each other, they occasionally meet through the internet provided by the webcam and internet connection, but they did not do anything other than that, except for seasonal holiday, they did not meet each other physically. But they knew that they should hold on to each other, because they were the perfect, perfect match. Being far apart was not much of a problem for Riley if she wanted to be true to herself, it made her easier to focus on her study to get a degree on law. But the past did not matter to her anymore, all that matter was the present.

She finally arrived to her destination and quickly got out of her car. The first thing she noticed was the beautiful smell of the freshly mown grass that came in contact with the rain, petrichor. She stretched her arms freely, driving to this place was one hell of a job, but she liked it all the same. Looking around her observingly out of habit, she quickly ran to where she knew he would be with a smile in front of her face. There he was, she kept approaching and approaching until she was next to him and sat down. She smiled while rolling a ring in her finger.
"It is one hell of a drive to this place, isn't it? But I don't complain, at least I get to see you as the prize. Anyway, I'm thrilled that I finally graduated. Aren't you proud to have me as a lawyer? I'm finding my own apartment now because my mother would disown me if I don't find one, I'm going to go around the town next week, I hope I'd find one and cheap. Kat is due two days from now, how cool is that? I finally have a nephew or... perhaps a niece. I think the baby would have long black hair and small lips, with dimples, like its parents."

three years earlier.
"Yes, Riley, I would be there soon. I'm just gonna check my tyre for awhile, okay?" said Hunter over the phone as he walked inside one of the stores in his hometown. A jewelry store.
"Okay, okay, see you later, love." he said and put down his phone.
"Good afternoon, Hunter." said an elderly man behind showcases full of rings. "Are you going to pick the ring today?"
"Hello. Yes, please. Have you engraved them?" said Hunter politely.
"Of course. Wait her for a moment." the elderly man then walked into a room and then quickly emerged outside while holding a box. The elderly man put the box on the glass showcase and opened the box. Inside the box was a beautiful simple ring with a diamond on top of it.
Hunter picked up the ring and examined the inside of the ring. It got the word "forever" engraved inside the ring. It was perfect. Hunter nodded absentmindedly, put it inside the box and walked outside the store while muttering "Thanks."
Hunter quickly got inside the car and drove to where he should meet her. He was smiling through the journey while holding the box in his hand. When he arrived, he could see she was already sitting on long garden chair that overlooked the mountains and the forests beyond. He approached her, running as fast as he can.
He closed her eyes by clasping both of his hands in her face. "Guess who?" he whispered.
"A dumb burglar who is closing my eyes and asking me "Guess who?". Of course I know it you, Hunter. Who else would it be. I would always be you." she said.
He smiled and removed his hands. "How are you?"
Riley smiled and hugged him. "Better."
He chuckled. "I got a present."
"Really? What is it?"
"You got to pulled out from me to know."
"All right." she pulled herself from him and he gave her a box.
"What's this?" she asked while opening the box.
"You'll see."
She gasped when she saw what was inside the box. A ring. A beautiful ring. "Is this what I think this is?"
"Yes. Will you be Mrs. Hunter?" he asked.
"YES! OF COURSE I WOULD." she screamed and hugged him tightly. As if he would be gone if she didn't.


"Hunter... someone told me that I should move out of this country, I know she meant well, but I just... I just couldn't be apart from you. I just don't." she said while rubbing her eyes. "I know you won't leave me, but I just... couldn't. You are... everything. I love you too much to let you go, you know that, right?"

They both walked hand in hand to his car. He drove with one hand and holding hers with another. She couldn't stop smiling. She was just too happy for the fact that she was going to be his wife. His. Perfectly his.
"I mean... what do they know about us?"

She kissed his cheek, but captured his lips instead and she quickly giggled. He smiled at her.
"What we have is... irreplaceable."

He pulled back from her, but it was too late and they both greeted by a sudden bright light.

"I know you are... gone, but I still have pieces of you inside me. They said if they look at me, they would see you. I always know you would guard me and you are guarding me by donating your eyes to me. And I just couldn't... I just couldn't..." she cried, tears streaming down her face like waterfall.

All of those times, she wanted him to answer, but he didn't. He couldn't. A stone tomb couldn't answer her.