Costly Little Wine Glasses

It was early in the morning and I had not slept all night when the world was reduced into silence and darkness. I could not rest, knowing what was coming and having a plethora of matters needed to be sorted out. I felt my acid reflux starting to act up, as a reminder that this near future event was something that I was extremely nervous about. Who wouldn't feel the same when it's going to happen on your third anniversary with your partner?

Deciding to distract myself, I perused through my phone's gallery. Looking through our milestones and all the unexpected things that had happened throughout our three years being in the relationship. The earliest timestamp that my phone had was our first dinner date—it was the furthest thing from either formal or fancy, but it was a precious moment because it was our first time properly spending the evening together. It took us fifteen minutes to even find a table for two, but it was worth it.

Then, there was the first time we went to my favourite bookstore. Coincidentally, it was also my first time taking someone whose opinions I cared for there. As such, I remembered there was a fight between the two of us. I think it was about the fact that you kept on babbling about the things that you had actually read, while I was trying to steal some peace and quiet while also checking out some new books. It was our first disagreement. It took us half an hour to make up, knowing that neither of us didn't actually have bad intention, we just did not know how our dynamics work yet.

Our first and second anniversaries went smoothly. We spent them in different cities, but in both occasions we managed to have our own struggle with different bottles of wine. On our first, we had its cork stuck in the neck, whilst on our second, the content spilled before we even managed to taste a simple sip of it. It took us five seconds to look at one another and laugh at the misfortune we were in.

I glanced up from my phone and stared at the fridge in my kitchen. For our third anniversary, I had put a bottle of wine in the fridge since weeks ago, and I had also intentionally bought two costly little wine glasses which I had put in the far back side of the cupboard. Unfortunately, it took you two years, eleven months and 24 days to get bored of me—to get tired of me and my incessant stories.

It did not take me long to notice the change. How you suddenly forgot about the details of my story, dismissed our time together, and refused to look at my eyes when we talked. I understood then and there that I had overstayed your welcome, that you finally lost your patience, kindness, and care for me. I understood that was not an easy task to perform, it would not have been for me. It had been an unbearable weight, knowing that you had lost your interest in me.

But, I would like to thank you for the time that you had willingly spent them for me and on me.

Thank you for always being so kind.

Now go chase your happiness.