When I Say

When I say I love you,

I mean it in all the spoken languages that exist in every hundreds of millions universes. I mean it on the days we spent apart—physically and mentally. I mean it in all the love songs that ever existed and will exist. I mean it in the negative space where we exist simultaneously as an individual and as a collective. I mean it in all the accumulated minutes before we met each other. I mean it in all the mistakes we ever did to each other without our knowledge. I mean it in all the unshared thoughts and opinions.

I mean it on the days when anxiety is too loud and neither of us could silence it. I mean it on the days when words could not be communicated fully and misinterpreted completely. I mean it on the days when we rather have ourselves be shrouded in silence. I mean it on the time we wear the scent of war. I mean it on the time we wear the scent of peace. I mean in it on all the unsent texts and rewritten words. I mean in it on all the days we forgot our umbrellas and rain boots. I mean in it on all the times we laze under the tropical Sun. I mean it on the infinite cups of tea and coffee we share.

When I say I love you, I mean it. Always.